Sunday 28 June 2015

VULCAN XL426

End of year exhibition 2015, printed onto Kodak Metallic paper double mounted on a sheet of aluminium 


I have vague memories of my Dad photographing me as a toddler in the early 90's as I sat inside the cockpit of Vulcan XL426 which has been based over at Southend Airport since 1986. As I grew up I started to take the train to Southend to meet friends and would deliberately sit to the right side of the train to catch a glimpse of 'that really cool plane'. It wasn't until my mid teens that I started to learn more about the Vulcan, needless to say I developed quite a soft spot for it!

I refused to watch videos of the Vulcan in flight as I knew that nothing would beat seeing it with my own eyes, in 2011 XH558 made an appearance at Southend Airshow where it pretty much exceeded all expectations - it had the bulk of a bomber yet it also had the power of a fighter jet, it was the perfect combination.

Earlier this year I contacted the Vulcan Restoration Trust (VRT) to enquire about photographing XL426 who welcomed me along for a tour of the aircraft which was a great experience. The VRT are a registered charity dedicated to keeping XL426 ticking over, although the aircraft is no longer airworthy she can still perform fast taxi runs. The VRT host open days allowing members of the public to get up close to the Vulcan, including tours of the cockpit.

As XH558 is currently making its final tour of the UK - and as it also is my favourite aircraft - I wanted to pay homage to the Vulcan and create a piece of artwork as opposed to my usual documentary-style photographs, and saw this as a great opportunity to execute an idea I'd had in mind.

I took a 'then and now' approach, combining the images with a blueprint-like design. Within the same image you see the Vulcan both represented as a blueprint and as it currently stands as a fully accomplished and retired aircraft.








All images subject to copyright.

No comments:

Post a Comment